Wednesday 19 May 2010

The Throwback - Tom Sharpe 1978* * * *




The first Tom Sharpe I have ever read has had me in hysterics since the beginning. I finished it last night and towards the end I had to stop for a breather because my gasping and snorts of amusement was making it hard to breathe. Sharpe is effectively Wodehouse with all the rude bits thrown in. However just because he's rude doesn't mean he is vulgar and though critics have mentioned that they find him over the top he still has a jolly good sense of humour and isn't afraid to talk about anything. Don't read this on public transport as I doubt you would last the trip (the taxidermy incident nearly made me fall off my bed I was laughing so much) and besides, this type of humour should be savoured and appreciated at it's fullest sense. But that didn't stop me from finishing it all in 2 days!


Started 17th May
Finished 18th May ( late!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment