Monday 1 November 2010

Jean Harlow:Tarnished Angel - David Bret 2009 * * * *


I know enough about Jean Harlow to know that part of this book is fabricated stuff. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it immensely but I feel that for people who don't know about Jean's life that this is not a brilliant book to get them started. Classic movie stars dominate my world and I spend hours researching them for my own enjoyment. Hence how I know that many of the things Bret says about her are quite obviously fake. But hey I can still enjoy a good old scandal bio. 'Hollywood Babylon' is one of my favourite books despite the fact most of it is fictional gossip because I love imagining 'what if' these scenerios were true.
Harlow lived a tragically short and unfulfilled life, only just starting to realise her true potential when it was too late and I think she really was one of the most unique and adorable actresses of the day. She was also incredibly loving and kind to people around her which is a rare thing in Hollywood and that is the reason her funeral was almost mobbed with fans - nothing since Rudolph Valentino's early demise had caused such a commotion.
I was, am and will continue to find myself astounded and mesmerised by the Hollywood of yesteryear, it's people, it's image and it's life. Timeless to me forever.
Although I know Bret was far off on many areas of his biography that doesn't stop me from getting out his Joan Crawford and George Formby ( my favourite) biographies to eagerly devour. I know so much about George Formby that I doubt anything in Bret's book will make me adore him any less.
Started 26th October
Finished 1st November

No comments:

Post a Comment