Tuesday 30 July 2013

Death of a Gossip - M.C. Beaton 1985 ****1/2


Every time I have been in the library, I always end up passing the M.C. Beaton books. I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to reading books in the wrong order and could never find the first one in the series. But this weekend, after suffering from a long and tiring tooth extraction I took myself along to the small library in my Dad's village to cheer myself up. And I found this! The first book in the series. And devoured it hungrily. It had everything I wanted, murder, crime, wholesome and well round characters, and was very easy to read. Definitely what you want to read when you are feeling under the weather. Hamish Macbeth is the modern day version of Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot put together, with a ferocious crop of red hair and a dry wit. We meet him for the first time in the fictional village of Lochdubh in Scotland, investigating the murder of a ghastly woman named Lady Jane, who crashes a friendly fishing club and quickly becomes the most unpopular person they have ever met. I am off to find the next book. Praise for M.C. Beaton, you have gained another fan.

Started 26th July
Finished 29th July

No comments:

Post a Comment