Thursday 4 February 2010

Lucky Jim - Kingsley Amis 1954* * * * *

What can I say about Lucky Jim? It really incapsulates the feeling of a 1960's college and Amis's writing is absolutely hilarious. Dixon is the most peculiar yet lovable character that I have read for a long time, you can't decide whether to find him a rude and arrogant chauvanist (he isn't interested in women who don't have a perfect figure or face) or feel incredibly sorry for him as he tries desperately to cling onto his job after mishap after mishap takes place. Having seen the hilarious film starring Ian Carmichael as Jim I could not help but place parts of what I was reading back into the movie, especially Dixon's encounters with Bertrand (who Terry Thomas played with jest and humour). This book will never be a chore to read and I ended up trying to slow myself down towards the end because I didn't want it all to be over.

Started 29th January
Finished 3rd February

No comments:

Post a Comment