Thursday 24 June 2010

Peril at End House - Agatha Christie 1932 * * * *


I thought that after the amazing ending in 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' Christie's other books would just be fairly mediocre. Actually this story as another amazing page-turner and I hurried through it desperate to read the ending. And when I did, I uttered the now all-too common words ' It was so obvious but I didn't see it' which really proves what a fantastic genius of a writer Christie is. I have loads more of her books stacked up ready to read and if I read a 3rd one to the same amazement and enjoyment than I will think nothing of seriously working my way through all her books. I also love the creation of Poirot - I think he is superb, and he is usually so calm even when he knows the truth that it spurs me on faster and faster to finish and find out his discovery. As I have only read 2 Christie's I cannot comment on his actions throughout other books, but if the Poirot TV show is anything to go by, he is about as much of a genius as Christie is - maybe she based his character on herself...
Started 18th June
Finished 24th June

No comments:

Post a Comment