Tuesday 26 January 2010

Deliver Me From Evil - Alloma Gilbert 2008* * * * *


Sorry to say this, and I don't mean it as an insult to this poor girl but I really couldn't put this book down. I gave misery memoirs a rest for a while at the end of last year because there are only so many of those books you can actually deal with without slumping into total depression yourself. As it was a new year I opted for this book, knowing that the crimes commited by this child's 'foster mother' were especially dreadful (how sick does that make me sound, but you can't deny that a really disturbing story is totally gripping to read!). As I raced on devouring page after page I was disgusted by Eunice Spry's behaviour and many times found myself screaming at the book in total rage as she acted this way to these children and actually got away with it (the people who had suspicions such as Alloma's teachers never actually bothered to make their feelings known to the social services). This women then went on to deny all charges as she appeared in court and blame her fostered children as the culprits of her 'firm' behaviour.
She has now been sentenced to 8 years in jail, but whether that goes anywhere near repairing the mental and physical damage she has done to these children is another thing. My feelings are probably not.
Although a totally awful subject, I couldn't put the book down.

Started 22nd January
Finished 23rd January

No comments:

Post a Comment