Tuesday 26 January 2010

The Mist in the Mirror - Susan Hill 1992* * * *


Susan Hill has the amazing knack of totally terrifying and paralysing her reader. Some of the scenes she created in this book are still on my mind now as they were so detailed in description that it makes you feel you have watched the scenes on t.v. Parts of this book will not allow you to go to sleep if you are reading at night and I have had to limit myself to reading it during the day so as not to scare myself rigid.
I have never read 'The Woman in Black' but hear that it is even scarier than this book and so it gives me a good enough reason to want to get it.
The reason it hasn't been given full marks is because of the ending. So much happens in such a short space of time and then all of a sudden it's over. We barely know why and it feels like Hill just decided to wrap it up there and then instead of tying up any loose areas of the plot. I was disappointed by that as I had become so immersed in the story that it was quite a shame to have it all just pulled away.
Still the majority of the book was great and guaranteed to give anyone who reads it a scared few nights.

Started 16th January
Finished 26th January

No comments:

Post a Comment