Tuesday 29 November 2011

The Book of Illusions - Paul Auster 2002 ***




This book started off brilliantly. It followed a man who, after losing his sons and wife in a plane crash decided to research an almost forgotten Silent Screen Star named Hector Mann and write a book about him. Hector Mann disappeared over 40 years ago and everyone assurmed he had died. But then one day after finishing the book, the man receives a telegram from someone claiming that Hector Mann is still alive, and wants to meet him.


It sounds fascinating to write about, and as I said it started off so well, but I was so disappointed by the end that I did think about giving up many times. However I struggled on until the end and then let out a huge sigh of relief. 3 Stars for the brilliant beginning, but a very disappointed sad face from me to have wasted time on this.




Started 22nd November


Finished 27th November

No comments:

Post a Comment