Wednesday 23 November 2011

The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie 1916 **** 1/2





I spent a long while believing that 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' was the first Agatha Christie book, and then I realised that it was the book that supposedly topped the last few beforehand. I must say I agree. I thought this, her truly first offering was great. Tense, exciting , and completely mesmerising with Poirot's first entrance into the world of detective fiction. However I don't think for one minute that it was anywhere near as good as TMORA. It did seen quite apparent to me through reading, that this was the first book from Christie; you could tell by her descriptions of characters and events which went on for a bit too long (although she managed to tone this down in later novels).


I liked the story however (a signed will that is destroyed the day before the writer is murdered, a missing tea cup, and various bizarre goings on at a lovely old country house 'Styles' which only Poirot can solve), and was satisfied with the ending. I will certainly continue my quest to read more Agatha Christie, there really is no one else who can 'do it better.'



Started 20th November


Finished 22nd November

No comments:

Post a Comment