Thursday 17 November 2011

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte 1847 ***




I'm mortified to see that I haven't read a full book since May. How bad is that?My brain must have been slowly rotting for all that time. But I've finally dragged myself out of my book slump which happens periodically and finished Jane Eyre, so I can't be doing too badly.


'Jane Eyre' for me, has the same effect on me that 'Wuthering Heights' did. I loved the first part, especially descriptions of her early life and time at the orphanage, as well as her first meetings with Mr Rochester at her new home. But then for me the book went downhill. Now whether it was my mind that was actually wandering and meant I wasn't paying attention anymore or whether it was the pace of the book that drastically changed I'm not sure, but the last part of what should have been a heart-rendering and emotional story just sort of left me flat. It's awful to say that I didn't enjoy a particular book which has so much acclaim as much as many others will have, and I fully accept that it may have been down to me not reading it 'closely' enough, but for me I was glad when it ended, happy to say I had read it, but relieved not to have to read it again.




Started 9th November


Finished 16th November

No comments:

Post a Comment