Saturday 28 May 2011

The Baker Street Phantom - Fabrice Bourland 2008 *****




I approached this book with some trepidation, thinking that it may be mediocre when dealing with the subject matter and especially being written originally in French I had imagined that the author would not be able to create a realsitic portrait of 1930s detective charged London, but it turned out to be brilliant and I charged through it at 100 mph!

The story is totally original and right up my street. 2 Amateur detectives in 1930s London are called on by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's widow, who is concerned about something other-worldly going on at none other that 221 Baker Street, home of the fictitious Sherlock Holmes, is the cause simply a case of a clever intruder, or is the culprit someone or something more ominous?

The writing was fluent, gripping and I really enjoyed it. As the 'Le Monde' newspaper so rightly proclaimed on the cover of the book, it really is 'Fantastic in every sense.' I will be reading more of this author.




Started 27th May

Finished 28th May

No comments:

Post a Comment