Friday 20 May 2011

Point Horror Anyone?

What I really have started craving recently is to re-visit the Point Horror books that I loved so much as a young teenager in the 1990s. I've decided that even if it's the last thing I do I will either try and buy a load off Amazon or see if I can rent them from the library ( although going into the children's section and having a proper nosey around usually gets me strange looks from the librarian!) as I seem only to have a compilation book of three of the stories left , leading me to believe I gave them away to a good home years and years ago ( lucky home!).
These books terrified me, gripped me and kept me enthralled for many Saturdays in my bedroom under the covers. A lot of them were surprisingly well written and the stories were original enough to not present you with the 'answer' half way through the book. These were the first 'proper' horror books that I read as a teenager (of course I read Goosebumps a little earlier which were fab as well but they were hardly long enough to be what I used to call a 'proper' book!) and I got through loads of them because they were so easy to read. There always seemed to be some I hadn't read which was a great feeling for me as I have a paranoid tendancy with books and films that I am going to run out either of a good genre or of a good actors' filmography, hence why I am trying to tackle authors nowadays that have an extensive bibliography so that there is no fear I will finish them all too soon!(Wodehouse, Christie)
Anyway, these books meant a lot to me, and I still remember how they used to make me feel, despite reading them over 12 years ago. They also got me properly into reading which is something I will never forget, and because of this I feel I owe the books a trip down memory lane once more. I guarantee that however old I am they will still be as enjoyable as they were all those years ago. The only problem is finding them! If anyone has any suggestions as to the best place to collect some of these little treasures I would be really grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment