Wednesday 25 May 2011

Young Men In Spats - P.G. Wodehouse 1936 ***



I'm bizarrely alternating between Christie and Wodehouse at the moment, something which I always do when stressed or needing a comfort read that won't try my brain too much.
This latest offering seeing a number of our favourite characters in some very funny short stories, but always coming out better on the other side.
The only thing I found with these stories was that they began to grow slightly repetitive after a while, appearing to be exactly the same layout as the previous story, usually based around a girl who doesn't return so and so's affections and therefore something funny happens and then she does end up liking him, but by the 7th or 8th story I was starting to realise that I knew what was going to happen. Don't get me wrong, Wodehouse is popular because of his love of using the same formula for all his stories and that is why we love him, but I felt with these stories it was just a bit too much. However to give him his dues I did read the book page after page without stopping and that is generally not the best way to approach a collection of short stories.
Not bad, not his worst but not his best.

Started 22nd May
Finished 24th May

No comments:

Post a Comment