Wednesday 30 November 2011

Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway 1926 *****




I have for a long time now, also had this impression that Hemingway was ridiculously hard to read like James Joyce, and so have never given him much of a chance. The second I started this book I knew that I had completely the wrong opinion.


Hemingway is incredibly easy to read, and much like Guy de Maupassant (to my delight) writes in a refreshing, honest and thoroughly modern way. The author was only in his mid-twenties when he wrote his debut novel and you would never in a million years imagine it.
The novel follows Jake as he travels from Paris to Pamplona for the bull fights with an assortment of friends (and enemies), including Brett Ashley who he is totally besotted with, but unfortunately so are most of the other male characters.

The novel is so readable, and you can read it so quickly that I was surprised when I found I had finished it last night. It's one of those books where you are so desperate to find out what happens next that you have your finger on the next page in excitement. Hemingway is a master of descriptive narrative, and reading his work really can transport you to another world and another time, isn't that what books are all about??


Started 25th November

Finished 30th November

No comments:

Post a Comment