Wednesday 12 January 2011

The Gropes - Tom Sharpe 2009 * * * 1/2


When I first discovered Tom Sharpe, I was under the impression that he was hidden treasure - someone I had not read anything by who claimed to be hilarious and light-hearted. I'm a huge fan of comic novels ( let's face it, who doesn't enjoy reading something that will make them laugh out loud) and thought ' Here's the jackpot, look at the load of books he has written and I'm going to work my way through them.' Before I had even read anything by him I decided he was the writer for me and I started collecting what books I could of his to pile up in my room and savour for a day when I really needed a good chuckle. Well this is my second of his novels ( I read The Throwback some time ago) and I must say that although there are a few funny moments, in general he's not as hilarious as I thought he would be. I'm hoping this is a temporary glitch and when I move on to his more famous works ( Porterhouse Blue + Granchester Grind spring to mind) I'll really be having a good laugh. Although in general if I don't like an author by the time I have read two works of theirs it's usually time to give up and move on. Maybe with Tom Sharpe I'll give him three.

Started 4th January
Finished 9th January

No comments:

Post a Comment