Monday 17 January 2011

Misery - Stephen King - 1987 * * * *


Blimey that Stephen King doesn't half pack a punch with some of his work. 'Misery' is the first book I have read by him and it was an occasion marked in utter terror as I refused food or drink and even refused to move until I had got to the end. I very rarely read an entire book in one sitting ( time does not permit, and there is the added cramp which you feel after a while) but with this book I had a bizarre feeling that there was no way in hell I could stop until I had read it. I think the fact the film had such an impact on me at the time meant that I was desperate to know what was going on in the book and how it had originally been explained ( i.e. the hobbling scene in the film, quite different in the book...say no more..). What was great about this book ( and seemingly something that Stephen King no longer does in his newer work) was that from literally the first page we were in Annie Wilkes's house with Paul Sheldon there on the bed, there was no pussy-footing around or inane rambling that meant we had to wait until half way through the book before we could get our teeth into something interesting; it was already there from the first time we opened it.
My opinion is that some parts were ten times better visually than they were written, and other parts were written so well and with so much detail that the film could not compare, so a bit of pick 'n' mix was definitely present. But a book that needs to be read. And not alone.
Started 16th January
Finished 16th January

No comments:

Post a Comment