Saturday 15 January 2011

The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides 1993 * * *


Having seen the film first and been totally blown away by it I guess I hoped the same would be said for the book. Starting out well the book seemed to progress downhill so that only in the last 20 pages or so did the story really fall into place and come into it's own. The rest of the time the writer was hanging around aimlessly and not making much sense, filling pages and pages with ramblings about topics that seemed of no use or relevance to the story at all. Obviously knowing the story and knowing what to expect I was on the lookout to see how the film had shown various elements in the book and most of the time ( I'm sorry to say) the film won hands down. I did not feel a particular empathy or attachment to the girls in the book and Mrs Lisbon isn't presented in such a domineering and overpowering way as she is on screen ( Kathleen Turner is excellent as her). In fact I found that most of the book was a drag and I was just willing myself to get through it. Sadly not as good as I was expecting. It could be this reason that made me read the whole thing in one sitting.

Started 15th January
Finished 15th January

No comments:

Post a Comment